My Favourite Childhood Christmas Book

Every Christmas, for as long as I can remember my heart has been touched by  The Wonderful Window by Beth Vardon,  illustrated by Charlot Byj.    I believe it was written in the 50's and I would likely have received it for Christmas sometime in the 60's.  It's no longer in print so I hope I'm not violating any copyright laws by sharing it with you.













  




As soon as the patchwork was tacked into place
The angel came in with a smile on his face.
And both he and Katie got down on their knees,
Praying: Lord, could you spare one small miracle -- please?
That night, all the people who happened to pass  Saw a wonderful window of glistening glass!
And the light from the candles was shining inside  On the angel and Katie -- both beaming with pride.
(Just take a look now, while the happy choir sings...You'll see -- even Katie --- has almost got wings!)

Comments

  1. Absolutely adorable illustrations! I read the whole book and fell in love with that Katie. Thanks so much for sharing this special book from your childhood. How interesting that it is spiral bound?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much to love about it, I'm glad you liked it too Lilly. It's funny how so many things that were considered naughty in a young girl then are considered admirable now. "She beat all the boys in the track meet in June!" The cheek! The spiral is definiltey unusual. It was a pop up book, on three or four pages, but the pieces fell out long ago.

      Delete
  2. Brings back great memories of my Grand-ma, she had the book at her house and I used to love to sit on her lap and have her to read it to me. She would read it in the middle of the summer if I asked her to. Really love this sweet little book. Thank you so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to bring back your fond memories. Thank you for commenting. :)

      Delete
  3. I loved this book! One of my siblings (far away) has our old copy. May I use the photos you took of the pages?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bless Us Every One

Pearls of Wisdom