Canyon Falls From Above

My first Okanagan hike was with a group that meets weekly to hike or snowshoe Okanagan trails depending upon the season.  I was in my mid 40's and I'm fairly sure that other than my hiking partner, the rest of the hikers were well over 65.  We climbed for a couple of hours, up a steep trail that overlooked Rose Valley. I lagged behind all the way.  Even the guy who'd recently had a heart attack was far ahead of me. 

Last week while searching for a Sunday hike I stumbled across a great online source called Hiking Addiction.  They reported their members were in their 20's, 30's and 40's.  Remembering my first hike, I joined the site because I really think they needed to have some members in their 50's and up, representing the grey haired set.

Hubby planned to golf Sunday morning and Hiking Addiction helped me find a hike shorter than our last few, that ended at Canyon Falls.  Mid afternoon, we took the round about route starting with hike along our dog favoured Kuiper's Peak, as opposed to the short jaunt from Canyon Court in Crawford.

Here are a few snapshots I captured using the Panasonic Lumix G2.

 Our goal is the green area, top right corner.

 The view from Kuiper's Peak

Bellevue Creek

 Almost at the falls

 Apparently you can hang onto these ropes and make your way down to the bottom of the falls.  I wasn't comfortable relying on rope that had been there who knows how long, put up by someone I don't know.


 It was quite difficult to capture a photo of the falls from above but I tried...



 Heading back up the peak with the pooches.

Now that golf season is in full swing I don't think we'll be hiking every Sunday.  Stay tuned for the next hike which will be a lot greener as we make our way north and out of the 61,776 acres (250 square kilometres) burned in the 2003 Okanagan Mountain Park fire.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bless Us Every One

My Favourite Childhood Christmas Book

Pearls of Wisdom